Welcome to the Spread Toolkit!
Spread is an open source toolkit that
provides a high performance messaging service that is resilient to
faults across local and wide area networks. Spread functions as a
unified message bus for distributed applications, and provides highly
tuned application-level multicast, group communication, and point
to point support. Spread services range from reliable messaging to
fully ordered messages with delivery guarantees.
Spread can be used in many distributed applications that require
high reliability, high performance, and robust communication among various
subsets of members. The toolkit is designed to encapsulate the challenging
aspects of asynchronous networks and enable the construction of reliable and scalable
Spread consists of a library that user applications are linked with, a binary daemon which runs on each computer that is part of the processor group, and various utility and demonstration programs.
Some of the services and benefits provided by Spread:
- Reliable and scalable messaging and group communication.
- A very powerful but simple API simplifies the construction
of distributed architectures.
- Easy to use, deploy and maintain.
- Highly scalable from one local area network to complex wide
- Supports thousands of groups with different sets of members.
- Enables message reliability in the presence of machine failures,
process crashes and recoveries, and network partitions and merges.
- Provides a range of reliability, ordering and stability guarantees
- Emphasis on robustness and high performance.
- Completely distributed algorithms with no central point of
Spread 4.1 Released
Spread 4.1 is a new version of the Spread project. It includes several new features that:
- Make location of unix domain socket configurable at compile time.
- Add version numbers to the Spread library.
- Add runtime configuration option in spread.conf for the maximum number
of messages Spread should buffer for each client before disconnecting them.
- Add high-precision timestamps to log file events.
Spread 3.17.4 Released
Spread 3.17.4 is a new version of Spread 3.17 that includes a number of bug fixes.